I decided to try something new the other night, something a little different and unique, yet light and healthy too. So I give you, Pineapple Cilantro Chicken.
This meal came to me in my head and I found dozens of pineapple salsa recipes, but I tweaked them all with what I had in my kitchen, and my sweet husband ran out to get cilantro and a jalapeño so he is the hero of this recipe.
Everyone loved it, and I hope you do too!
Pineapple Cilantro Chicken
4 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 Cups pineapple juice
1 Pineapple diced into little chunks
2 Tomatoes with the seeds removed and diced
1/2 Onion diced
1 Heaping handful of Cilantro chopped
1 Jalapeño seeded (Hint, use plastic gloves when you do this, otherwise your eye will freak out the first time you touch it on accident) and diced
2 Garlic cloves diced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
salt to taste
2 Cups of cooked rice
1 Avocado sliced
1. The night before you want to make this, marinate the chicken breasts in a plastic bag with the Pineapple Juice and the Juice from the lime. Don’t worry if there are seeds in the marinade, you will toss it anyhow.
Sleep well, that chicken is getting delicious. A friend of mine told me that pineapple is a natural meat tenderizer, which is why if you eat too much of it your tongue gets all cut up. Makes sense to me!
Now on to step 2 when you’re ready to cook.
2. Fire up the grill on medium-high and when it’s hot put the chicken on. The sugar from the pineapple juice will make these awesome sear marks on the chicken, don’t worry about burning it, it will be ok. Every 6 minutes, go turn the chicken. The first time just turn it 90 degrees so you get the cris/cross grill marks, then the next time turn it over, and then finally one more 90 degree turn.
One of my favorite kitchen gadgets is not a kitchen gadget at all. It’s my iPod nano that is also my watch, it keeps me on task while i’m cooking and I never have to set the oven timer. Check it out!
And if you’re really good, plug in your ear phones and listen to some cooking tunes!
3. As the chicken cooks and turns, make the salsa. Dice the pineapple, tomatoes, onions, garlic and jalapeño and put them in a tupperware. It will start to look like this.
4. Then grab the chopped cilantro and add it to the mix.
5. Finally add the cumin, coriander and salt and mix it all together. It will get a little juicy, but don’t worry about it, just use a slotted spoon when you’re ready to serve. Then the juice can be put on the rice and it makes it soooo yummy.
6. Make some rice! I use minute rice, because it’s so darn easy, but you can use whatever you would like.
7. Slice the avocado so everyone gets 1/4 of the avocado.
8. Take the chicken off the grill. Mmmmmm doesn’t it look yummy?
9. Put it all together! Presentation is key here, and as my twitter friend said “get fancy with the avocado” 🙂 I put the chicken on one side, the rice on another and then made a big line of salsa on the top. It looked really pretty!
See it here!
I hope you and your family enjoy this lovely dinner, it was super yummy and really healthy with all the fresh veggies and fruits! The salsa also makes a great salad dressing for something different, so keep the extra salsa, I’m sure you’ll find a use for it!
Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoy this dish!