Recently I had the wonderful opportunity to try a new brand of Mexican food from Marcella Valladolid who has created a wonderful brand of food for Safeway. In full transparency, Safeway contacted me and asked me to be a part of this contest to create a new recipe using Ms. Valladolid’s brands of foods. They sent me a variety of meats, tortillas and chips to try and I was giddy like a kid on Christmas when I received the package and started envisioning my creation.
I wanted to create something I’ve never tried before, and that is something surprising, yet honors the flavors of the food. I am very proud of the creation I made, and I will be honest. It was easy, SUPER easy, and it was delicious to eat while watching the Bronco Game. This is a great recipe for a party or get together, or just for your little family of three to hunker on the couch and take in a game or movie.
I hope you enjoy my creation and I would love for you to try it yourself!
Carne Asada Eggrolls
1 package Marcela Valladolid Beef Skirt Steak for Carne Asada
1 TBSP Butter
1/2 onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic peeled and chopped
1/2 cup corn kernels
1 red pepper seeded and chopped
1/2 tsp Cumin
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 handfuls of crushed Marcela Valladolid Salsa Verde Tortilla Chips
1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
8 Marcela Valladolid Flour Tortillas
1 Egg beaten
2 cups Guacamole
4 Marcela Valladolid Chile Lime Flaquitos crushed
More Flaquitos for serving and dipping (and keep some for you while you cook, they are delicious to munch on)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, and warm up the grill to medium high. Cook the Skirt Steak directly on the hot grill according to package instructions (8-10 minutes each side)
2. While the steak is cooking warm up a skillet on Medium High heat and melt the butter until bubbly. Sautee the onions, garlic, and red pepper until translucent.
3. Take the steak off of the grill and slice into strips, the best way to do this is to cut across the grain and at an angle, but really any way you do this will work.
4. Add the corn to the skillet and turn the heat off. Then mix in the cumin, crushed tortilla chips, meat slices, and cheese until the cheese melts, then add the cilantro.
5. Line up a little of the meat mixture in a tortilla.
6. Roll up the eggrolls really tight (Thanks to our daughter for the picture.)
Look how cute they are! Little yummy eggrolls. (Please excuse my messy counter.)
7. You can make 8 and squeeze them in tight in a 9×9 baker. (Or use whatever you have, but see if you can get them in tight.)
8. Whisk the egg in a bowl until it’s bubbly, and then brush on top of the egg rolls to create a light film.
9. Bake for 20 minutes.
10. While it’s baking, put the guacamole in a serving dish and crumble the crushed Flaquitos on top of it. Then line the serving dish with the red chips. (It makes it look so fancy…and it’s yummy, so dip one in the guacamole and eat it….delish isn’t it? Yum)
11. Chop up some cilantro for the egg rolls, and when the egg rolls are done take them out of the oven, and while hot, carefully remove them from the pan and cut in half at a diagonal.
I swear cutting things at angles are the key here and makes it go from normal to something special.
12. Place on the plate with the guacamole, and put some more Flaquitos on the side for more sharing and dipping.
Sprinkle the cilantro on the egg rolls and serve!
I hope you all enjoy this yummy dish, and thank you Safeway! Our family loved it!