I came across an article a while ago that absolutely freaked me out. A lot of articles about food freak me out, as soon as I hear something gross is in a food I love, I feel like I have been punched in the gut. So I do what I can (within reason) for our family. We drink hormone free milk, we buy eggs from our farm neighbors free range and hilarious chickens, and we make our own pancake batter.
I know, I admit it. I never ever thought to make my own pancake batter until I read an article telling me that formaldehyde was used in trace amounts to make pancake batter. I don’t know if it’s true (full disclosure, I never really even researched it). But it freaked me out so much thinking about dead people in my pancakes that I decided to do some searching for a great replacement recipe. Now I know, formaldehyde is not made from dead people…but it’s used in dead people. I know this because I watched Six Feet Under obsessively with my husband. This was way before “marathoning” referring to watching all of a series in one sitting was a thing. BUT, it was right when Netflix started up and we could get 2 seasons in a row and then send back one season while we watched the other and then got the new one in the mail.
If you have not watched this series. Stop reading this and go watch it. I love this show. This is pre-“Dexter” and I swear it’s where “Dexter” was born. I mean seriously. Michael C Hall had nothing else to do BUT become a serial murderer vigilante who is awesomely terrifying after growing up in this house! And really, who doesn’t want a hearse as a car. It’s so Harold and Maude! Don’t tell me you haven’t seen this either. I’ll start crying.
Ok, but seriously Pancakes. After all this death, dismemberment, burials, and morgues….there is one thing I don’t want in my pancakes. Blood, and Formaldehyde (I know that’s two things but I really don’t want either).
So at the concern for everyone everywhere, specifically me and my family, I went on a search for a great pancake recipe. I came across a number of them and tried them all, and think I finally nailed it. Seriously, I’m so happy about these pancakes that sometimes I get too excited and don’t cook them all the way through (sorry honey). So take your time, make these next time instead of buying that box of stuff (which may or may not include formaldehyde) and enjoy. Oh and by the way, you probably have all the ingredients in your pantry.
Pancakes To Die For (not literally)
1 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
3 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 TBSP Sugar
1 1/4 Cups Milk
3 TBSP Melted Butter
1/2 tsp Vanilla
- Ok, I know this sounds silly, but I tried all the fancy sifting…and mixing and making a well in the bowl of the flour for the wet ingredients, and I found no difference than when I just dumped everything together. So here’s your hiliariously easy directions.
- Mix everything in one bowl, in order that they show up in the list above.
- Mix with a whisk after you add each ingredient.
- Cook on a hot flat top or your favorite pan. Make sure it’s hot and has a tiny bit of butter on it.
- Then be patient (otherwise you’ll serve your sweet husband doughy pancakes – again sorry honey) Cook one side until bubbles appear and start popping, then flip.
- If you want, before you flip, add chocolate chips or other ingredients.
- Flip, and they’ll puff up like crazy, it’s fun to watch! Cook for about 3-5 minutes and then serve with butter, syrup, an egg on top, chocolate sauce, really anything your heart desires.
I hope you enjoy this deliciously, formaldehyde free pancake and watch any show you like while devouring it.